April 26, 2024, 01:28:07 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Interesting question. Need your help please!  (Read 639 times)

Offline PositiveVariable

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Interesting question. Need your help please!
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »
Hi.  I was researching asbestos removal from the lungs and came across this from a website I found.  I am not a chemist myself and so I need your help in interpreting this correctly and with how to do it.  Thank you.

Here is the qoute:

"Hello

I am an organic chemist and not a doctor so my suggestion is made purely from a chemical viewpoint not from a medical one. However, the idea occured to me that if magnesium silicate could be altered at the molecular level then it might be easier to expel it. We have these wonderful compunds known as ion excahnge resins which are used in everyday things like water softening agents. My suggestion is that if somehow this type of product could be introduce to the area where the asbestos resides (using e.g. a stearate) then it might be possible to exchange the silicate group for a e.g. stearate. This already happens in nature as magnesium stearate is commonly known as soapstone. Soapstone could be readily expelled from the lungs as it is a different compound. It seems logical that then silicate group would then be easier to expel.
Hope this idea is encouraging. Sorry that I cannot advise from a medical viewpoint.

Sorry, I forgot to add that in order to tie up the loose hydroxyls the stearate would need to be introduced using a carrier and pv(oh) would probably be a good choice. If the contaminated area could somehow be washed with polyvinyl alcohol solution containing e.g. a stearate then there is a possibility that the asbestos (whatever the form but most are usually magnesium, calcium and ferrous based particles) would be made soluble and easier to eject or remove from the lungs. Polyvinyl alcohol would catch the pendant hydroxyls (which form the 'hook' part of the molecule)."

[edit: link removed]

So my question(s) are:

When he says "using e.g. a stearate" what does he mean exactly?

When he says "used as a carrier" is the poster saying that the ion exchange resin would need to be added to polyvinyl alcohol in order to have a liquid form of the solution that could be introduced to the lungs?

What is meant by "tie up the loose hydroxyls" and "catch the pendant hydroxyls (which form the 'hook' part of the molecule)".?

My idea here is to create the solution that the poster is talking about, in a liquid form, and then potentially put this liquid into a mister, or a spray bottle, and possibly inhale the mist or spray, in order to get it into the lungs where the asbestos is.

Can this be done?
Would the liquid be safe to inhale without damaging the lungs itself?
How would I go about making this liquid solution?
If I bought some ion exchange resin and polyvinyl alcohol what next?

Basically I just want to know your take on this and know how to properly make the solution I need to do this.

Thank you a lot in advance for any help with this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:55:58 PM by Borek »

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Interesting question. Need your help please!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »
With respect to inhaling something into one's lungs, we do not hand out medical advice on this forum, as per our rules.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Interesting question. Need your help please!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »
The idea doesn't make much sense to me.

Plus, it goes against the rules.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links