March 28, 2024, 01:08:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: reaction for precipitating polyvinyl alcohol  (Read 1546 times)

Offline hellaview

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
reaction for precipitating polyvinyl alcohol
« on: November 25, 2020, 04:57:40 AM »
Hello chemistry heads!

Im currently writing my bachelor thesis as an product developer and need some help with chemistry, hoping this community could shed some light and knowledge.

I want to precipitate Polyvinyl Alcohol ((C2H4O)n) from an aqueous solution so that I can filter it and remove it from the liquid . I found a patent describing a method using Borax (Na2B4O7) and Sodium Sulfat (Na2SO4) to precipitate the PVA from the solution. Mixing the Borax (gelling agent) and Sodium Sulfat (salting agent) creates a coagulating agent, which is then added to the PVA solution resulting in a precipitation of the PVA.

Now my problem is that I dont understand how to write the chemical reaction formula for this. Nor do I understand what the leftover substances are.

I do understand the concept of precipitation but as a product developer, chemistry isnt my department. I was hoping someone could help me understand this reaction by explaining it and maybe even help me write the equations for it.

thanks

/d

Offline biofm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: reaction for precipitating polyvinyl alcohol
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
Is your target a slime or a rigid gel? Sodium sulfate affords a rigid gel and aluminum sulfate affords a slime. I have an article on this share. Will send you a private message.

Sponsored Links