April 19, 2024, 04:44:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can I study chemistry in college without studying it in high school?  (Read 2933 times)

ursename

Hi! It might sound weird but I didn't study chemistry in high school yet because the system is a little different where I live. We have four years of highschool, the science classes come in the last two. Basically I was supposed to have it started this year, but the quarantine made it kind of impossible. I get the remote classes but I don't think they're as fulfilling as the regulars would be.
All the knowledge I have right now are very basic middle school chemistry (that's when I fell in love with it) and very basic high school chemistry, which I'm still learning. Also from books and YouTube videos. I also think I learn better by myself so I was wondering if I could get the necessary knowledge for colllege on the internet or from the books I own.
My final question would be: how much do you have to know about chemistry before you start college? I assume you have to know at least the stuff from high school, but again, I don't really know how much that is.
I really appreciate any kind of advice!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Can I study chemistry in college without studying it in high school?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
General chemistry 101 in college will start with the basics. Previous exposure in high school will help, but you should be fine.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
Enthusiasm counts for a great deal in learning.

Offline biofm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
Nothing is impossible, you just need to be ready for the challenge. A friend of studied Mathmatics in college but switched to Physical Chemistry for his graduate studies. He did so well.

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:27:53 AM »
I studied A Level chemistry before I went to university to study the subject. Since different exam boards have different syllabi, the first term of my university degree was a "general chemistry" subject which is meant to bring everyone up to speed. Just study hard and apply yourself and you will get up to speed.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:29:17 PM »
Everything that is covered in high school chemistry is covered again in college chemistry but with more detail. You will be fine, but you may need to study more.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links