March 28, 2024, 05:21:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Recently graduated, school lab tech good idea for first job?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Traumatic Acid

• Mole Snacks: +2/-3
Recently graduated, school lab tech good idea for first job?
« on: December 05, 2020, 11:49:02 PM »
Hi all
I have successfuly graduated my bachelor of science majoring in chemistry!

I've been sending out a bunch of job applications (mainly for lab tech positions) to various places, trying to get my foot into the science industry. As the year comes to an end there are lots of schools looking for lab techs to help class lab sessions early next year. Pretty simple question, would you consider a role like this benificial for finding future jobs? I doubt there is much room for career advancement as a school lab tech as I have no teaching qualifications, but if you were an employer would the fact that someone has worked months / years as a school lab tech encourage or discourage you from hiring that person?

I knew the lab techs at my highschool pretty well so I know it is pretty basic work, maybe a little too basic so I'm worried it would undermine my degree / discourage future employers because I've been doing really basic work since I graduated.

As usual, I appreciate your input.
Cheers!

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Recently graduated, school lab tech good idea for first job?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
As far as entry level goes, its the most entry level position you can get. I would try getting better roles like in R&D. Try entry level analytical or formulation roles. Then you'd learn more about product development.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
Just a cautionary note
There are management types who see a prospective hire with a large gap in time as unemployed as a negative. To them flipping burgers is better than no job at all.

Going to school in this case is considered employed.

Paternity leave may also be considered as employed.

Going on a long trip to see the world may be seen as unemployed..

Searching for the right job = that I am unsure of

This is my experience when sitting in on interviews and then hearing the discussion of the management after during the selection.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
Totally true, billnotgatez, but I'm not sure this applies to a gap after completing an undergrad degree unless the gap is extraordinarily large.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »
Going to agree with billnotgatez, I think it will look better to have the most entry level of chemistry jobs on your resume than any gap. Plus, you could use that opportunity to further network with your professors to help find the next position. I wouldn't stay in thay job long if you can line up your next move.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links