April 23, 2024, 06:13:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Using a graph to predict the reaction rate and then calculate the reaction.  (Read 1141 times)

Offline candied49

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mass of a 1 cm Mg strip= 0.12 g(All of the strips are in 1.0 M HCl solution)

Temperature in °C: 0/23/50/90
Time (s):              300/35/15/5
Reaction Rate (g/s): 4.0x10*-4/3.4x10*-3/8.0x10*-3/2.4x10*-2

The question was "Use your graph to predict the reaction rate and then calculate the reaction time for a 1 cm magnesium strip in 1.0 M HCl solution, at a temperature of 75°C."

I made a graph on the spreadsheet but Excel didn't provide the formula with this graph. (I don't know how to attach a graph here sorry.)
I used the y=mx + b too but it didn't make sense.

So I was using the basic math skills like...
When the temperature changed from 50 to 90,
10 seconds were decreased( from 15 to 5 ), which means 1.25 seconds were decreased every 5 degrees.
So when the temperature is 75 °C (=50°C+(5°C x 5)), the predicted reaction time is 8.75 seconds(=15 seconds-(1.25 seconds x 5)).

But I don't think this is expected on a high school Chemistry lab report.

I graduated high school over a decade ago. So can someone please help me with how to solve this problem? ??? ??? ???

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
candied,
I'm sorry you didn't get any responses, but it's really not at all clear to me what you're being asked to do. You've listed a bunch of temperatures and times and reaction rates, but you've provided no context to these numbers. You said you made a graph and can't attach it, but there's no information about what the graph was or what it looked like or why it didn't make sense. So, I'm afraid until you provide some clarification you probably won't get much help.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links