March 29, 2024, 09:39:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with titration involving weak base and strong acid or vice-versa  (Read 1218 times)

Offline RaelAerosolKid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
So I'm just beginning to have analytical chemistry classes and I already got pretty confused about something.

When you calculate the resulting pH of, say, NaOH added to acetic acid, the concept of subtracting the amount that is being titrated with the amount that reacts and dividing it by the initial volume + the added volume of the solution with the titrant seems completely fine to me.

But, you would have to take into account that acetic acid being a weak acid is in a chemical equilibrium like H+ + Ac- <---> HAc , right?

So now I don't know if NaOH reacts to everything (I'm thinking of the chemical equation NaOH + HAc --> H2O + NaAc), regardless if it's dissociated or not, or if you have to only consider one part of it. My teacher just skipped this part and gave us the titration graph.

I am really confused,

Thanks in advance

Offline RaelAerosolKid

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help with titration involving weak base and strong acid or vice-versa
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »
This is a bit chaotic, but I assume you mean calculating pH during titration by using Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Yes, the assumption that concentrations calculated from the neutralization stoichiometry are exact it not always valid, as they always shift a bit due to dissociation/hydrolysis. In most typical cases the error is negligible though.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline RaelAerosolKid

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »
This is a bit chaotic, but I assume you mean calculating pH during titration by using Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Yes, the assumption that concentrations calculated from the neutralization stoichiometry are exact it not always valid, as they always shift a bit due to dissociation/hydrolysis. In most typical cases the error is negligible though.
Yeah what I wrote was kinda confusing but thank you for naming the equation I didn't even know had a name

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
Technically it is just a rearranged definition of dissociation constant, so the name is not that important. Still, used often enough to be worth knowing.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links