Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

"Light" vs "heavy" solvents

<< < (2/4) > >>

AWK:
By asking a question you make it difficult to explain it by providing incorrect information. The car body maintenance product does not contain SiO2, only polysiloxanes (after burning it will be silicon dioxide, but I do not recommend trying to set the car on fire to check it).

The manufacturer is obliged to provide in the MSDS all information about the dangers related to the use of his product (MSDS must be available on the internet). His product also has a user manual, which often includes information about the most important ingredients. If the product is not patent-protected, the manufacturer tries to minimize the information available, and this is probably the case here.

After a few hours of hardening with the help of additional mysterious substances contained in this product, the protective layer tightly adheres to the varnish and becomes resistant to water and lighter than water, chemically non-aggressive organic solvents - probably the manufacturer had gasoline in mind (Borek correctly interpreted the available scraps of information). High-boiling organic non-volatile liquids (e.g. diesel fuel) will damage the protective coating.

GregS:
Thanks awk. Please don't blame me for providing "incorrect" information though - blame the manufacturer:
https://carpro.global/catalog/cquartz-lite/#:~:text=CQuartz%20Lite%20is%20built%20on,try%20their%20first%20ceramic%20coating.
Quoting:
"CQuartz Lite is built on a combination of Sio2 and Tio2 particles with over 45% solid materials, as well as proprietary ingredients not made public outside of the lab!".

Do you think they are providing incorrect information here?

AWK:
"is built" means used for synthesis

GregS:
Ok. Well, I think non-chemists (including me), would interpret "is built on" to mean "is made of".

If I get another reply from the manufacturer I'll post here.

AWK:
The chemist always means synthesis.
Bread is made from flour, but bread can be made at most breadcrumbs because complicated chemical reactions took place.

I also guessed well that the manufacturer probably does not have a patent on this product (or the patent has already expired). This is evidenced by the statement "as well as proprietary ingredients not made public outside of the lab".

There is no word "heavy" in the attached link, and the term "light solvents" has been described well enough in this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version