March 28, 2024, 07:01:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Your Chem Class  (Read 23324 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Your Chem Class
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 03:02:51 AM »
Guttenberg changed one part in the printing press... the letters used to be made of wood, he changed it to metal and that single change made a machine that lasted longer, produced more

That's not what his invention was about - he invented movable type.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »
I think that PFD files and/or powerpoints should be used along with the blackboard.  The power point is a good outline to look at, but there really is nothing like the gifted hand of a professional.

My organic professor can't spell worth anything (LOL).

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 06:01:55 PM »
I've been stuck with so many incompetent teachers (either at teaching or the subject material) in my school years. I just use my general knowledge to get by, and it works. I find myself though, having to turn around and teach someone something a teacher just taught us quite often. That bothers me a lot. A teacher is paid to TEACH.

I guess I just got lucky, and am able to "wing" test/quizzes/classes. I do read a lot online though which probably helps.

O and right now I'm in basically a prepatory chemistry class that most people take in my school. I'm taking AP Chemistry next year. My teacher though is incompetent in the material. She reads word for word what one of the other chemistry teachers gives her, and what is in her "teaching book". It drives me crazy because I need to constantly explain things to other people.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 07:40:51 PM »
constant thinker: well that means that you should think about becoming a chemistry teacher when you leave school.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »
"I just use my general knowledge to get by, and it works."

Don't worry, that won't last much past High School.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
Mike,
I've considered becoming a teacher. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to be doing yet. I do know it'll be related to chemistry though.

"I just use my general knowledge to get by, and it works."

Don't worry, that won't last much past High School.

Yea that's what I'm slightly worried about. It's already happening on occasion.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »
the people who will make the best high/secondary school teachers generally get more interesting jobs, that's the problem.

I wouldn't worry, university academics are generally a hell of alot better in my experience. Probably for the aforementioned reason.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
I really didn't like science at all until I took high school chemistry.  After AP Chem...I was pretty much set on it as a major.  My high school teacher was beyond amazing and had the same effect on many other students.  Beyond that, all of her students who took the exam the year I did passed it.
There was absolutely no powerpoint involved, and there were demonstrations involving pretty colors whenever she could work them in.  Most of the labs worked when we did them.
The only downside was that she spent a while beating equilibria into our heads, so we didn't have time to cover electrochemistry.  Oops.

Sponsored Links