April 18, 2024, 04:00:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: solubility of methoxyphenone  (Read 809 times)

Offline glenn440

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
solubility of methoxyphenone
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
Hi all..
I acquired some c16h1602 (methoxyphenone) an obsolete herbicide.
It was a tiny amount 50mg - I went ahead and tried to dilute it in a little bit of water then dumped the whole lot into 4 liters of water. With lots of agitation it appears that it never dissolved - even much later I can still see white solid in the water. I looked up the properties of it and apparently it is not very soluble in water 2mg/L.
Is there another way to have this dissolved into water or is it too late that I mixed it into a large volume (4 Litres)?

Thanks in advance

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: solubility of methoxyphenone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
It would try to dissolved it in a solvent like acetone, iPA, etc. Then add this to the water.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
If the solubility is 2mg/L, you will have dissolved 8mg of it. If you wanted to dissolve the whole 50mg you need 25L water. Or go for 30-50L to make sure.

Offline glenn440

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
Was thinking about another solvent that might not be too harmful to plants - if I could filter out the particles still in suspension then maybe dissolve in ethanol (70%?) then add back to the water?? The ethanol may not harm the plants I am treating with it??

Jeff - what you say makes sense - some of the 50mg would be mixed in the 4 litres of water but that is the max that this amount of water would carry?? In 25 litres of water would assume it is completely dissolved - would be more difficult to see the particles in that much water..

Sponsored Links