April 28, 2024, 03:59:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A little confused with lewis structure  (Read 13281 times)

Offline vanalm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A little confused with lewis structure
« on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:04 PM »
I am supposed to use VESPR theory to decide the molecular arrangement on the central atom and decide what the molecular shape is. But I can't get past the lewis structure.

I am trying to figure out SeI4. I am following the directions in the book, but it seems I have 2 extra electrons and no where to put them. The way I have it set up is Se as the central atom and I on top, bottom, right, and left. Then book says to put any leftover electrons on the central atom... but the central atom already has 8, so I really don't know what to do with this.

I would really appreciate it if someone would  please tell me what I am to do with these electrons.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
Re: A little confused with lewis structure
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 12:09:21 AM »
Selenium can carry more than 8 electrons because it can use empty d orbitals for vacancy.

Basically, some elements at or below Period 3 will be able to carry excess electrons.  Xenon can carry up to 14.  Sulfur can carry 12, Phosphorus 10.

So Se is an exception like these examples.  Just put them excess electrons there.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:32:31 AM by k.V. »

Offline vanalm

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 12:14:22 AM »
Ok, now that you mention it, I do remember reading that. Thanks alot.  :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 02:44:11 AM »
Crystal sructures of SeF4, SeCl4 and SeBr4 are known. Two of them show geometry of see saw, SeCl4 is ionic SeCl3+Cl-.
AWK

Sponsored Links