March 28, 2024, 11:06:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: discussion about drying zncl2 under vacuum  (Read 1396 times)

Offline CrazyGoat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
discussion about drying zncl2 under vacuum
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
Hello,

I have been discussing with chemists about drying zncl2 in a flask under vacuum, we are talking about white powder anhydrous zncl2, the reason for drying it is to eliminate the moisture that could get from the bottle to the flask. The objective is to perform an oxigen sensitive reaction.

They have explained to me something like this :

In the case of moist anhydrous zinc chloride, the weight loss will depend on the moisture content.
Many reactions require perfectly anhydrous zinc chloride and must then be dehydrated by a suitably effective method. Heating it along with the water it's going to yield Zn(OH)Cl, not ZnCl2, so l will lose the weight
relative to the OH and CL that are going to evaporate and flush into the vacuum plus the ineffective zn remaining in the flask.

But I don't care at all to lose some percent in weight and purity of the zncl2 always I can have it dry and ready for my oxygen-sensitive reaction.

So, am I missing something? can I just do it?

I have to use from 5 to 10 mg of zncl2 per gr, so, what happens if I add 10 and hope that a superior quantity to 5 will remain for my reaction?

Thank You Very Much.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: discussion about drying zncl2 under vacuum
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »
Please don't start new thread to discuss exactly the same problem.

Locked here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links