April 24, 2024, 11:36:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help: Experiment in a bag  (Read 1165 times)

Offline wmolina

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help: Experiment in a bag
« on: January 05, 2021, 02:50:51 AM »
Hi! I'm trying to take a video recording experiment of chemical change. Baking soda is to be mixed in calcium chloride inside a ziplock bag. Then phenol red is added. The solution reacts by changing from red to yellow. I currently don't have any phenol red in my lab, haven't been able to update our inventory ever since the pandemic hit. Are there alternatives I can use for phenol red? I've tried phenolphthalein and I'm not getting any changes.

I should probably mention that I am not a chemist by profession, I'm a biologist and I admit this is quite a gray area for me despite how "easy" the experiment seems.

Hoping for any kind of advice. Thanks.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Need help: Experiment in a bag
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »
There is a list here

pH indicator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH_indicator

Naturally occurring pH indicators
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH_indicator#Naturally_occurring_pH_indicators

Red cabbage maybe

Let us know how you make out
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:33:36 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Need help: Experiment in a bag
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »
What are you going to get from this experiment? The pH of the NaHCO3 solution is about 8, the pH of the CaCl2 solution is 4-8 depending on the preparation method. Depending on the molar ratios you will get an intermediate pH. A white precipitate will form upon heating. Phenolphthalein will remain colorless, red cabbage juice will change color slightly.
Pour some NaHCO3 solution into the test tube, add phenolphthalein and start heating. At temperatures over 50°C, the solution turns pink. This can be done in a glass of hot water. This reaction is irreversible.
AWK

Sponsored Links