March 28, 2024, 10:18:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: solidify colloidal nanoparticles  (Read 2006 times)

Offline wiseowl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
solidify colloidal nanoparticles
« on: February 01, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been testing the synthesis of gold colloids through the Turkevich method, just by experimentation. So I have two questions:
1- Is it possible to crystallize or solidify the colloidal gold nanoparticles? I don't know if it is possible to form crystals or solids of the saline type in a cluster.
2- Can colloidal gold return to its metallic form with heat, as it is done with the precipitated chloride of aqua regia?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: solidify colloidal nanoparticles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
These questions don't make a whole lot of sense. What do you mean by crystallizing gold nanoparticles? The gold is already in a solid state. The particles can aggregate, continue to grow, ripen, or dissolve. Colloidal gold is already in metallic form. Do you mean, return to ionic state? They can, with a suitably strong oxidant or pro-oxidant conditions. Gold particles are pretty stable, usually, though.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links