Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

What is the product of the reaction.

(1/2) > >>

sharbeldam:
Ofcourse not an exam , Im not a student. please tell me if my way of thinking is correct.

they want me to find the main product of this reaction after a long time has passes, so basically I think in this question they wanted us to figure which is the best leaving group/strongest base, my question is this, if the R group connected to the -OCO larger, does that mean that the base is strongest since the R group is more donating because it's larger? or does the size not matter at all? if it doesn't matter i have no way of knowing which will be the best nucleophile and stay for the longest time.

My answer would be B

rolnor:
If you consider this being a equlibrium, what would then happen with this large excess reagent in the end? Electronic effects are minor I would say.

sharbeldam:
can you be more clear? what happens with the reagent?

does it react again with the product that i drew? there are so many possibilities :/

Babcock_Hall:

--- Quote from: rolnor on January 20, 2021, 03:00:44 PM ---If you consider this being a equlibrium, what would then happen with this large excess reagent in the end? Electronic effects are minor I would say.

--- End quote ---
Indeed, mass action might have the last word.

sharbeldam:
if i understand the chemists language correctly, should D be the answer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version