March 28, 2024, 05:14:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carvone and tartaric acid  (Read 2571 times)

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Carvone and tartaric acid
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
Hello
It’s written in my book that they use RR tartaric acid to react with the racemic mixture of carvone to give two diastereoisomers, it’s a way to split the two enantiomers of carvone, does anyone have a source for this reaction please?
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Carvone and tartaric acid
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »
Hello
It’s written in my book that they use RR tartaric acid to react with the racemic mixture of carvone to give two diastereoisomers, it’s a way to split the two enantiomers of carvone, does anyone have a source for this reaction please?

And how can racemic ketones be separated into enantiomers?
AWK

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
Thank you chen but i was kind of looking for a different reaction, Perhaps a simpler one to separate them.

AWK, i really dont know , thought about it a lot , like i thought of many reactions that can happen between carboxylic acid of the tartaric acid and the ketone (like making a amine from the ketone and then producing amide after the reaction) but how would that help me separate them, it doesnt explain it at all, it just says they use tartaric acid to separate these two enantiomers.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 05:38:50 PM »
Sharbeldam, do you want the reaction to be reversible?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:09:13 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
I'm a pharmacist that studies chemistry in theory, I'm not a chemist and I'm not doing it in a lab, I just like knowing reactions and how they happen, in the book it says ' It is a very known method of using R,R tartaric acid to separate racemic mixture of Carvone into two diastereomers ' and I was just wondering how would that happen and how come it is very known if I cant find it online quickly haha

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
My point was that amide formation is not easily reversed, but what one would want in this case is something that can be reversed (think protecting group chemistry).  With respect to tartaric acid, you have two kinds of functional groups.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 02:22:27 AM »
Thank you chen but i was kind of looking for a different reaction, Perhaps a simpler one to separate them.

AWK, i really dont know , thought about it a lot , like i thought of many reactions that can happen between carboxylic acid of the tartaric acid and the ketone (like making a amine from the ketone and then producing amide after the reaction) but how would that help me separate them, it doesnt explain it at all, it just says they use tartaric acid to separate these two enantiomers.

Both carvone enantiomers occur in different plant raw materials. Only pure enantiomers are available for sale. There is no point in creating a racemate artificially and then breaking it apart.
The optically active tartaric acid is used primarily for the separation of amine enantiomers. You are probably using the wrong manual, because a good manual sketches a method and doesn't say "It is a very known method" only.
AWK

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 03:43:06 AM »
My point was that amide formation is not easily reversed, but what one would want in this case is something that can be reversed (think protecting group chemistry).  With respect to tartaric acid, you have two kinds of functional groups.
Im thinking protecting group chemistry, but i still dont get the logic on how would that help me seperate them, lets say i add an OH group instead of the double bond on the chiral carbon (anti-mark) and then use pcc to get aldehyde and then add protecting group with some sort of diol, both enantiomers would react, and then how would they be separated?

the book says ' after they react with tartaric acid we get two diastereoisomers that can be separated via percipitation and other methods '

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 03:46:48 AM »
How to make an amine from a ketone, but the amine that is easily converted back into a ketone (i.e. the reaction is reversible).
AWK

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 03:49:20 AM »
i could react it with a primary amine -> that gives me imine and then i could do reduction and then i get amine, but they both would react the same way and then? how would they be separated? thanks for being patient

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 03:58:41 AM »
Have you heard of enamines?
AWK

Offline sharbeldam

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
like reacting them with secondary amine to get enamines first?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 07:51:54 AM »
For the crystallization of diastereomeric salts, a suitable tartaric acid derivative (most often dibenzoyl tartaric acid) and a suitable solvent or solvent mixture must be found. This is done by trial and error.
But nowadays, racemic mixtures are most often separated by chromatography using chiral stationary phases.
AWK

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:49 AM »
Alcohols can react with ketones, but I am not sure what was done in this particular instance.

Sponsored Links