March 28, 2024, 01:23:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: please Help me with Chemistry homework  (Read 1314 times)

Offline jonahOG

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
please Help me with Chemistry homework
« on: January 28, 2021, 10:04:26 PM »
Ive been stumped on this problem for a long time any help would be greatly appriciated here it it is

Classify each of the following as an Atom(A), Ion(i), ionic compound(ic), or covalent molecule(cm)

1) be     2)  CO2      3)O2        4) O2-         5)SO3        6)SO32-        7)MgI2       8)PCI3      9)CR2O7

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: please Help me with Chemistry homework
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 10:10:35 PM »
Ive been stumped on this problem for a long time any help would be greatly appriciated here it it is

Classify each of the following as an Atom(A), Ion(i), ionic compound(ic), or covalent molecule(cm)

1) be     2)  CO2      3)O2        4) O2-         5)SO3        6)SO32-        7)MgI2       8)PCI3      9)CR2O7

You have to show your attempts or thoughts at solving the question to receive help.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

pick each one and tell us what you think it is based on your class notes and class textbook and we will let you know your correctness or lack of correctness.

Offline jonahOG

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
My teacher barley taught us about this and instead chose to spend many weeks teaching us about lewis dot structures than assigned this which has nothing to do with them but I will try my best

1)be Atom     2)  CO2   ion    3)O2  ion      4) O2-    atom     5)SO3   ion     6)SO32-   covalent molecule     7)MgI2  ionic compound     8)PCI3  covalent molecule    9)CR2O7 covalent molecule

please tell me if this is correct or not and if its not please tell me how I can determine what they are as my teacher is very little help

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:20:47 PM »
My teacher barley taught us about this and instead chose to spend many weeks teaching us about lewis dot structures than assigned this which has nothing to do with them but I will try my best

1)be Atom     2)  CO2   ion    3)O2  ion      4) O2-    atom     5)SO3   ion     6)SO32-   covalent molecule     7)MgI2  ionic compound     8)PCI3  covalent molecule    9)CR2O7 covalent molecule

please tell me if this is correct or not and if its not please tell me how I can determine what they are as my teacher is very little help
Ions are atomic compounds with a formal charge. Like Na+ or O2-. Ionic compounds are compounds that consist of ions. A covalent molecule is a compound of two or more atoms which have a neutral formal charge (and where the bonds are covalent bonds). Atomic compounds consist of one atom only. Compounds such as H2, O2, etc. are called diatomic molecules.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:26:24 AM by Meter »

Offline jonahOG

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »
Ok thank you very much so that means that O2- would be an ion and so would SO32- and Be is an atom?

Offline jonahOG

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:53 PM »
Thank you so much I really appreciate your help. with the use of the information you provided me I was able to complete the problems do you mind checking if i did them correctly here is what I got

Be = Atom

Co2= Covalent molecule

O2= Covalent Molecule

O2- = ion

SO3 = Covalent Molecule

SO32- = ion

MgI2= Ionic Compound

PCl3= Covalent Molecule

Cr2O7 = Ionic Compound

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 12:39:42 AM »
Those look mostly right. Remember that dichromate has a formal charge -2 and it is an ion since it is a molecule (has covalent bonds) with a non-zero formal charge.

Ionic compounds are usually defined as compounds which utilize ionic bonding (so not covalent).

Offline jonahOG

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:22 AM »
Those look mostly right. Remember that dichromate has a formal charge -2 and it is an ion since it is a molecule (has covalent bonds) with a non-zero formal charge.

Ionic compounds are usually defined as compounds which utilize ionic bonding (so not covalent).

So than I should say that Cr2O7 is an Ion instead of saying that it is a ionic compound?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 02:17:39 AM »

The notation of ions and molecules without subscripts and superscripts is often ambiguous (O2- m can mean O2- as in KO2 or O2- as in MgO), besides, Cr2O7 without charge is an obvious error - it should be Cr2O72-.
AWK

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »
@jonahOG
So what is your final answer.

Sponsored Links