April 27, 2024, 07:13:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is Glycerol natural?  (Read 746 times)

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Is Glycerol natural?
« on: February 07, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »
As a pharmacist, I get asked this question a lot, I try to answer it but I'm not even convinced with my answer, Yes it is natural, but it can be synthesized, in the end, don't we reach the exact same compounds? should it matter at all, if the glycerol that exist in that syrup for babies (to treat cough) is synthetic or natural?

and what is natural glycerol anyway? as far as im concerned it comes from SYNTHETISIZING it from vegtable oil or other natural product, doesn't that make it synthetic?

Can someone resolve my inquiries please?
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Is Glycerol natural?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 10:57:56 AM »
Glycerol is found as a ester in almost all fat in animal and plants.
For producing soap the fat will treated with sodium hydroxide and the glycerol is the side product what comes out. So it is made from natural material but its anyway synthetic.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 11:54:19 AM »
For pharmaceutical purposes, regardless of the source of origin (synthesis, saponification of fats, biodiesel production, or fermentation), glycerin is thoroughly purified in several stages: distillation, deodorization, decolorization.
Since the production of biodiesel, the synthesis of glycerin from petrochemical propylene has ceased to be profitable. Currently, excess glycerin is processed into compounds previously obtained from propylene.
During the semi-synthetic preparation of glycerin and its purification, the entire carbon-oxygen skeleton does not undergo any changes - so we can say that it is the natural glycerin, only purer.
AWK

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:42 PM »
There is some sort of missunderstanding in popular culture, that there is a difference between molecules from the "nature" and from what chemists can synthesize in a labb. Its just atoms connected to each other and there is no difference what so ever.

Offline sharbeldam

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
thank you, that helped.
O-Chem 1+2 Online Free tutor on Skype: Live:damnitsjake21

Sponsored Links