April 20, 2024, 06:51:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is Heat of combustion the same as enthalpy of combustion?  (Read 676 times)

Offline MonkeyEnjoyer110

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is Heat of combustion the same as enthalpy of combustion?
« on: February 11, 2021, 01:50:28 PM »
I need the "Heat of combustion" values of different chemicals like acetone, and diesel fuel for my forensics projects. I tried looking on the wiki page for the heats of combustion, but I cannot find them. What exactly is Heat of combustion and does it go by different names. Is it the maybe the same thing as enthalpy of
combustion? Thats the conclusion I came up with, but I want to make sure.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Is Heat of combustion the same as enthalpy of combustion?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »
Yes, they are the same thing. Experimental combustion enthalpies are available for a lot of common, pure organic compounds. They can also be measured experimentally on a per-weight basis for fuel mixtures like gasoline and diesel, but bear in mind that the heat of combustion of such mixtures will depend slightly on the composition... although in principle the combustion enthalpies of large MW organic components of such fuels are reasonably similar. 
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links