March 28, 2024, 05:36:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lithium Extraction in Brine Water  (Read 3618 times)

Offline timg49

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lithium Extraction in Brine Water
« on: February 16, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum but I thought I'd throw out a topic and see if anyone has any experience or ideas.  i have been looking at a number of projects off and on the past year and was looking to see if anyone knows of any technologies that can extract Lithium out of brine water, the concentration levels of lithium would be on the low side.

I have been reading about companies looking at Ion Exchange, would this be an easier way to remove the lithium out of the brine water mixture?

Any ideas around this would be appreciated, i'd be very interested in talking to anyone who has any expertise in this.

Thanks in advance.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Lithium Extraction in Brine Water
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:44:07 AM »
Search google patents.
AWK

Offline timg49

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check.

I might not have posted this in the right spot, but I was curious if maybe there is an ion exchange process that could work as well.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 11:34:17 AM »
This may be of interest
from
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-010-9488-7_11
Marine Geochemistry pp 346-421| Cite as
Trace elements in the oceans
Authors
Roy Chester

Na+ 0.468   mol /kg
Li+  25      μmol/ kg

I think I retyped it correctly

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
Lithium is a minor constituent, but its usual source is indeed salt, from the Dead Sea, Bolivian salars, and so on. Some rivers contain a better proportion of lithium.

Out of memory, brine is reacted with CO2 under pressure because essentially lithium precipitates then as carbonate. I guess lithium carbonate is then roasted to the oxide.

You can try ion exchange, but the carbonate process looks cheap. Or use ion exchange later, on the already concentrated lithium ions?

Offline EdHardwick

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »
Lithium is a minor constituent, but its usual source is indeed salt, from the Dead Sea, Bolivian salars, and so on. Some rivers contain a better proportion of lithium.

Out of memory, brine is reacted with CO2 under pressure because essentially lithium precipitates then as carbonate. I guess lithium carbonate is then roasted to the oxide.

You can try ion exchange, but the carbonate process looks cheap. Or use ion exchange later, on the already concentrated lithium ions?
Yes, carbonate process is well understood. The resin Lewatit TP 260 has some selectivity for Li.

Sponsored Links