April 16, 2024, 11:59:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can a homemade polarimeter use circular polarizing lenses?  (Read 777 times)

Offline ollypf

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can a homemade polarimeter use circular polarizing lenses?
« on: February 18, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »
Hey, I have been building a polarimeter for my organic chemistry project. I can’t seem to find out anywhere if the lens has to be linear polarizing or it can be circular polarizing. Everything that comes up on search is about photography. Logically, I don’t think they should work with the light rotating that way, but I don’t know that much about the topic haha. I already ordered circular ones and have to know soon if I need new ones. Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Can a homemade polarimeter use circular polarizing lenses?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
You'll want optics that create plane polarized light, one before the sample and one after the sample. A polarimeter measures the rotation of plane polarized light. Your first optic creates plane polarized light. The second optic only permits plane polarized light to pass through. And you need something that measures the angle of the second polarizer with respect to the first, to measure the angle the polarization plane is rotated by the sample. 
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links