March 28, 2024, 07:50:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What happens chemically in this specific case of my diluting acid/base buffer?  (Read 657 times)

Offline YassJazzBoiii

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sorry in advance if I mess up some terms, english isn't my first language. I'll just get to the point now

I have an experiment i needed to do where I was going to grow some peas for 3 weeks. I divided the peas in 5 different groups and each group got aa specific chemical buffer ranging from a pH-value of 3-6, with the last one being just regular tap water. I, sa you probably would, expected that the plants with the lower pH-watering liquid would die out or atleast be smaller, more unhelthy and in general weaker than ther tap wter counterparts. That didn't happen. In fact, it barely had any effect at all and right now I'm going through what could've been the cause.

I believe that me diluting the buffer might have been the cause, as it affected the concentration of whatever that keeps it a specific pH-value. The final watering liquid consisted of 80% regular tapwater and 20% chemical buffer, could my hypothesis be correct or am I just flailing around? Thanks for ny help I can get.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Relying on just the buffer presence is never a safe way of doing experiments, it is always a good idea to test the pH just to check.

The way the buffers behave when diluted is one of their important properties (and should clearly answer your question).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links