Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Engineering Forum

Acetone-water distillation plant

(1/1)

shubzk:
We are trying to set up a distillation plant to separate acetone from a acetone-water solution(90% acetone, 10%water). For a feed of 210L/hr, energy required to vaporize acetone is coming out to be 27.5 kW/hr. We are planning to heat the solution in an oil bath of hytherm 500 with a heating element of 12.5 kW. My question is, if we maintain the temperature of the oil bath at 65°C, will we be able to finish the distillation in one hour? Since, 12.5 is less than the 27.5 kW needed, but the oil will be maintained at 65°C using a temperature controller, so my confusion is will the oil bath provide enough heat to vaporize acetone or will we have to increase the heat supply?

Boiling Point of acetone is 56°C.

Borek:
Sounds like a homework.

By forum rules you have to show your work.

And actually this question just tests your understanding of the process physics and energy conservation.

shubzk:
By show the work, do you mean the calculations for energy required to boil acetone? This is not a homework question, I framed it that way so the readers can have a broader understanding of the problem faced.

DrCMS:
Do you need help understanding that 12.5 is less than 27.5?

I also think your value for the energy required is too low as that seems to be only the energy needed to vaporise the acetone fraction and ignores the energy need to heat the acetone and water feed to the boiling point of acetone.

EdHardwick:

--- Quote from: shubzk on February 25, 2021, 01:35:03 AM ---We are trying to set up a distillation plant to separate acetone from a acetone-water solution(90% acetone, 10%water). For a feed of 210L/hr, energy required to vaporize acetone is coming out to be 27.5 kW/hr. We are planning to heat the solution in an oil bath of hytherm 500 with a heating element of 12.5 kW. My question is, if we maintain the temperature of the oil bath at 65°C, will we be able to finish the distillation in one hour? Since, 12.5 is less than the 27.5 kW needed, but the oil will be maintained at 65°C using a temperature controller, so my confusion is will the oil bath provide enough heat to vaporize acetone or will we have to increase the heat supply?

Boiling Point of acetone is 56°C.

--- End quote ---
Why not build a labscale version and make the necessary measurements, before you scale up?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version