March 28, 2024, 07:29:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mesityl Oxide  (Read 1101 times)

Offline wiseowl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mesityl Oxide
« on: February 26, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
Hello everyone, thank you very much for your help and advice. Im an engineering student but I like chemistry as a hobby. I like organic chemistry and Im interested in ketones. I would like to know if there is a way (homemade, I do not have industrial equipment, only normal laboratory glassware) to synthesize mesityl oxide from the aldolic condensation of acetone.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
Re: Mesityl Oxide
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 08:45:00 PM »

Offline wiseowl

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »
Thanks for answering, yes, I have searched wikipedia before posting here, but that is a very open answer, it doesnt contain instructions, measurements etc.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »
Check reference 4 and 5 in the link, it gives you links to the synthesis.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 01:29:18 AM »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:04:48 AM »
A reliable synthesis of mesityl oxide is very easy to find.
While the synthesis looks easy, it does require rigorous compliance with the procedure.
Besides, a very volatile and quite toxic compound is created. Therefore, the synthesis should be performed by an experienced chemist or a student under the supervision of such a chemist in good laboratory conditions (above all, very good ventilation).
Mesityl oxide is flammable and its vapors form an explosive mixture with air already at a temperature of ~ 25°C.
AWK

Offline wiseowl

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
A reliable synthesis of mesityl oxide is very easy to find.
While the synthesis looks easy, it does require rigorous compliance with the procedure.
Besides, a very volatile and quite toxic compound is created. Therefore, the synthesis should be performed by an experienced chemist or a student under the supervision of such a chemist in good laboratory conditions (above all, very good ventilation).
Mesityl oxide is flammable and its vapors form an explosive mixture with air already at a temperature of ~ 25°C.

Thanks for your answer, i recently read that if you mix HCL and acetone, the acid catalyzes and produces the condensation of acetone first in mesityl oxide and then in phorone. is this correct? It would be an easier method.

In fact: if acetone was heated by itself in a container, for a long period, wouldn't it be the same? Acetone dehydrates and undergoes aldolic condensation. Or are different compounds produced?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »
wiseowl, at what kind of level are you studying chemistry?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:40:56 PM »
During the aldol condensation of acetone, a mixture of products is always formed, although by the choice of the catalyst and reaction conditions one can obtain some of the products in advantage.
It is troublesome to isolate pure compounds from such a mixture.
Many syntheses of the phorone can be found in the literature or on the Internet, with rather a low or moderate yield.
AWK

Sponsored Links