April 19, 2024, 06:47:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lubricant Oil Regeneration/Recycle Project  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Gustaff

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lubricant Oil Regeneration/Recycle Project
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Hello,

Im working in a project to regenerate or recycle lubricant oil in the company were i work, i was assigned to a project to reuse the lubricant oils used in our mobile equipments (like wheel loaders and bulldozers).

The lubricant that needs treatment is a synthetic oil (> 90% saturates), which should not change its composition during its use, only a slight degradation of the additive package and acumulation of wear and contaminants. Also, acumulation of soot in engine oil.

Im in doubt about wath treatment could apply, i was sugested by filtering or centrifuge it, but that only will remove the bigger contaminants, there are other process i watched like distillate it, but it could expose the oil to cracking.

What process i could apply, diferent from what i mentioned, to return the used oil into their original use?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Lubricant Oil Regeneration/Recycle Project
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 07:35:40 AM »
Filter and centrifuge, yes. Distillation: it can be worth trying! Especially if you reduce the pressure, then the lower boiling temperature will alleviate cracking.

If the wear parts are steel or iron, you might try to remove the particles with magnets. That's less than trivial, as the oil must flow very close to the magnets, but it's done to purify blood for instance. Adding temporarily a thin solvent may help, in the centrifuge too.

Sponsored Links