March 29, 2024, 12:00:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I make an ion become bound to another molecule?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Jotaro

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How can I make an ion become bound to another molecule?
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:22:22 PM »
Dear community,

I have two general questions which I would appreciate a lot if you could help me with!

1) In a small beaker with distilled water and a few ml of sulfuric acid, nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, and with Ba and Ca, how do I know what Ba and Ca will be bound to?
Will they be 1/4 sulfates, 1/4 nitrates, 1/4 chlorides, and 1/4 hydroxide complexes?
Or do they prefer a specific complex?

2) If they prefer a certain complex, how do I generally go about in forcing them to be bound to one of the other 3 mentioned complexes?
And doing so without evaporating the acidic solution. However, if the solution is neutralized it is possible to evaporate if needed.

Thank you very much for your time!
Kind regards

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: How can I make an ion become bound to another molecule?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »
Dear community,

I have two general questions which I would appreciate a lot if you could help me with!

1) In a small beaker with distilled water and a few ml of sulfuric acid, nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, and with Ba and Ca, how do I know what Ba and Ca will be bound to?
Will they be 1/4 sulfates, 1/4 nitrates, 1/4 chlorides, and 1/4 hydroxide complexes?
Or do they prefer a specific complex?

2) If they prefer a certain complex, how do I generally go about in forcing them to be bound to one of the other 3 mentioned complexes?
And doing so without evaporating the acidic solution. However, if the solution is neutralized it is possible to evaporate if needed.

Thank you very much for your time!
Kind regards

Since this is a teaching forum
You have to show your attempts or thoughts at solving the question to receive help.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:14:07 AM »
Solids are quite selective, both at crystallization and solidification. They are known purification methods. However, both need time, so quick evaporation would be less selective.

You could have a look at the solubility of the varied possible salts. Among the many possible compounds, some will crystallize first out of the solution as the water evaporates.

Offline Jotaro

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »

Since this is a teaching forum

Dear Moderator, I have very limited knowledge in chemistry, my background is completely different.
I hope my questions shows that I provided the relevant complexes the Ca and Ba can create. I am not asking for an exam or assignment, I am just curious to learn.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »
This is a solubility problem rather than a complexation problem. In order to know what will arise, we should know the concentration or amount of substances in the solution. In addition, we do not rewrite the textbooks, we advise you to read them yourself.
AWK

Offline Jotaro

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:15:30 AM »
Solids are quite selective, both at crystallization and solidification. They are known purification methods. However, both need time, so quick evaporation would be less selective.

You could have a look at the solubility of the varied possible salts. Among the many possible compounds, some will crystallize first out of the solution as the water evaporates.

Thank you Enthalpy for your reply!
I have had a look previously on these solubility tables, and read on this subject, but its always the "text-book-example-syndrome".
An ideal situation with only 1 acid, or you have grams of everything and you observe macro-chemistry, which always works btw.
But in a situation where you have small amounts and everything is somewhat dissolved, how can I make one ion hop to another complex?

Will the addition of hydrogen peroxide (oxidizer) or Ti(III)Cl (reducers) help in guiding the ion to a certain complex?

Thanks!

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
@Jotaro Adding oxidizers or reducers won't change anything - no one will disolve calcium or barium in this mixture (sulfuric, nitric and hydrochloric acid) ;D

Sponsored Links