April 29, 2024, 07:52:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

Is it appropriate to use hydrofluoric acid in the undergraduate laboratory?

Yes
5 (29.4%)
No
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Topic: Hydrofluoric Acid  (Read 8642 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Hydrofluoric Acid
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:58:52 AM »
What do people think? Is it appropriate to use HF in the undergraduate laboratory? The poll is probably a little black and white, I am sure there are a lot of "yes, but" and "no, if" answers.

I don't see how the benefits outweigh the risks here.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Hydrofluoric Acid
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:15:49 AM »
I wouldn't think so, but if it's a low enough concentration and the appropriate safety precautions are taken it should be fine. It would be a good way to teach the students the proper reverence some chemicals deserve.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:58:44 AM »
I wouldn't let undergrads play with it  -   maybe in the final year after a couple of lectures about how dangerous it is with some nasty, scary pictures of some industrial accidents? but I don't see the need.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:17 AM »
Solutions of HF should be kept in teflon bottles, this solutions are a terrible lachrymator.
AWK

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:04:58 PM »
My personal opinion is that HF should not be used for the masses; if you have a large university where you push 3500 students through general chemistry lab each semester (as my undergraduate university did), you will easily wind up with accidents.  If you have chem majors, a small select group, watched by graduate students who are into the course, it should be fine.  My school did this; chem majors did a couple labs that used HF, but they were in a much more controlled and supervised environment, and the solution was dilute.  It wasn't until we hit the undergrad/grad inorganic chemistry course that we used concentrated HF.  That being said, undergrads in engineering use that stuff all the time like it's water to etch silicon wafers, etc., and we don't hear of many problems with it.  All in all, though, I'd vote no.  It's a little hypocritical of me, because I think that most labs are watered down to the point where they're boring now a days.  For me, though, I do see a difference in a lab where something can catch on fire or give you a nasty topical burn as opposed to poison you.  For this reason, I wouldn't allow undergrads to work with dimethyl mercury or nicotine, either.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 07:50:40 PM »
I myself cannot come up with any reactions in which a much safer, and most of the time better, alternative to HF can not be found.  HF is needed for very specific types of reactions, and frankly an undergrad really has no reason to be working those reactions.  I mean in my undergrad work I did a lot of reactions involving horrifically toxic and dangerous chemicals, but that was because there was absolutely no other way around it.  In a toxicology lab you typically will work with nasty things like cyanides, uranyl nitrate, arsine, etc.  However, we were taught about the dangers and instructed on whether or not there were any better alternatives.  With HF, I just don't see any real reason to use it.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »
Hmm... 4 people said it should.  I'm curious to hear their opinions on the matter.  I see Mitch's point, but I agree with jdurg and Mike among others in that the benefits don't outweigh the risks.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline dfx-

• Mole Snacks: +4/-4
  • I'm NOT a mole!
    • Red Chill
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:30 PM »
Undergraduate and in final year myself and have never went anywhere near HF...

The only interaction we've had with HF are the faces that our lecturers pull when they mention it/it being used. ;D
BSc(Hons) in Forensic and Environmental Analysis

Sponsored Links