March 29, 2024, 02:44:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amine protecting groups  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Monoamine

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Amine protecting groups
« on: March 21, 2021, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi, so I have a compound which contains both OH and tertiary amine. Basically I am hoping to homologate the OH to a methoxy group by a Williamson ether synthesis, The problem is that this would also alkylate the amine, producing ammonium cations. Naturally I would prefer to avoid this

I attached a schematic with the proposed synthesis. If anyone would be willing to share what the right protective group mighty be here, and how the are added and removed again. I would be very grateful to know.

Cheers.

Ps: Suppose you want to go the other way around, and cleave the methoxy into a OH group. Could you apply the same procedure, where instead you use HBr to cleave the ether? (again by protecting the amine?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Amine protecting groups
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 07:26:16 PM »
Why not use the opposit. Use instead of the Aminephenol the Bromine compound and alkylate with Methylate sodium CH3O- Na+
Or reduce he acetic ester of the Aminephenol by  with Triethylsilan Bor triflouride ether

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
Can you think of any protecting groups?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
Honestly, methyl iodide, methylate both spots, then in the presence of a decent nucleophile and a little heat, the desired molecule is basically a leaving group.

For instance, if you stir the dimethylated compound with a large excess of KCl, the chloride will attack a methyl on the amine via SN2 and you'll produce some methyl chloride and the desired product.

Sponsored Links