April 19, 2024, 05:48:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sorbitan ester  (Read 2552 times)

Offline aggaboyle77

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
sorbitan ester
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »
Hello,

I am trying to make sorbitan monooleate. I had several pilot reactor trials and unfortunately too muck blacking and carbon formation occured in the reactor. I used phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide couple as catalyst and the temperature 220 degC under 100 mbar vacuum
Is there another specific catalyst for the production or lower temperature should be applied ?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: sorbitan ester
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 03:07:41 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to make sorbitan monooleate. I had several pilot reactor trials and unfortunately too muck blacking and carbon formation occured in the reactor. I used phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide couple as catalyst and the temperature 220 degC under 100 mbar vacuum
Is there another specific catalyst for the production or lower temperature should be applied ?

I imagine you may get a mixture of products - which probably isn't helping. What's the intended use?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: sorbitan ester
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
I used phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide couple as catalyst

What? These will just neutralize each other. Phosphoric acid isnt usually a choice esterification catalyst. Sulfuric is my go to, but p toluene sulfonic acid is good too, and safer to handle. A lot of literature out there on this... more than could be read in a lifetime.

Sponsored Links