Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Spectroscopy

I'm weak with IR and need to identify important peaks in this spectrum.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Babcock_Hall:

--- Quote from: PandHero on March 24, 2021, 04:58:24 PM ---Sorry I had a lecture here is my attempt, I'm not sure if all these peaks are relevant to the identity of the compound or if I am labelling them correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/M97PdhT

--- End quote ---
You indicated a much broader region for C-H stretching (down to roughly 2000 wavenumbers) than is correct.  One way for you to approach the problem now would be to find the signals that correspond with functional groups in the known structures.  I am not certain that this is the best way.

marquis:
Is that a perkin elmer instrument you are using?  And if I may, which one is it?  Thanks in advance.

PandHero:
I don't believe it is. The one I used was at my college campus, so it's pretty dated.

marquis:
Yes.  If it was a Perkins elmer, many of them had functions of functional group search and peak search built in. The functional group search would have been the most help.  The peak search usually requires a library.  That may or may not be present and often cost extra.  Anyway, the functional group search can also answer a lot of those questions. Most competitors also had a similar function on their instruments.  Unless the school disabled it.  Regards.

Babcock_Hall:
@OP, If you have sp2C-H bonds in your molecule, where will they show a signal?  If you have sp3C-H bonds in your molecule, where will they show a signal?  A nitro group should give you a symmetric stretching signal and an asymmetric stretching signal, both of which are at least moderate in intensity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version