March 28, 2024, 07:55:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to clean up dried hydrochloric acid residue?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline danamem

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to clean up dried hydrochloric acid residue?
« on: March 26, 2021, 07:12:20 PM »
I don't know of this is the right sub-forum to ask, as I'm not a chemist or a chemistry student, but I need answers - from those that are.

So I was cleaning up my vehicle, particularly the trunk, and caught an old bottle of hydrochloric acid (only 3.14% solution, 96.86% water, not concentrated). Firstly I'll say this, I got rid of it, and took it to a hazardous waste disposal center, so that ends that. Yes, I am a dumb idiot (huge understatement) for not handling it properly and neglecting it.

However, it had been sitting there, probably for a little less than a year, but definitely a long time, many months. So who knows what all sorts of chemical processes it's gone through, with the changing temperatures and etc.

However what I did notice was that there may have been what I assume to be some dried residue on the bottle, mind you it's probably been rolling around in there, I can't remember the color and my mind is now making up memories of the color to try to fill in the void (but please guide me on the colors though).

Thing is, I don't know how much of it may have spilled and dried out over time, I can't imagine it's much though, because the bottle seemed almost as full as I remember when I first placed it in the trunk. All the times it's sat there, I haven't experienced any issues (I've driven state lines with it just sitting back there), no signs of corrosion or anything (though I will double check), or inhalation problems, and/but I don't really feel like waiting 'till I do end up running into issues.

Is it something that can be handled by myself, or do I need to get a professional team?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to clean up dried hydrochloric acid residue?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 05:33:11 AM »
There were no processes in the bottle, but hydrochloric acid is volatile and hydrochloride tends to seep out from bottles. Then it corrodes whatever is close to the bottle.

My bet would be whatever you have seen was most likely some chloride (not that I understand details of how it could get on the bottle, but I have seen it happening) - these are typically reasonably safe.

Color would be helpful, as long and it was white/grey or reddish (kinda rusty) I wouldn't care at all (most likely some calcium/iron, these are present everywhere). Greenish/bluish would be a bit worse (copper/nickel, common around mechanical devices), still, we are probably talking about amounts that aren't dangerous.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline danamem

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
There were no processes in the bottle, but hydrochloric acid is volatile and hydrochloride tends to seep out from bottles. Then it corrodes whatever is close to the bottle.

My bet would be whatever you have seen was most likely some chloride (not that I understand details of how it could get on the bottle, but I have seen it happening) - these are typically reasonably safe.

Color would be helpful, as long and it was white/grey or reddish (kinda rusty) I wouldn't care at all (most likely some calcium/iron, these are present everywhere). Greenish/bluish would be a bit worse (copper/nickel, common around mechanical devices), still, we are probably talking about amounts that aren't dangerous.

Thank you so much! I was about to lose myself there!

Offline danamem

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 09:46:37 AM »

It came in a plastic bottle, or whatever sort of material they make bottles out of for hydrochloric acid ( here is a link to the exact product).

Sponsored Links