Specialty Chemistry Forums > Biochemistry and Chemical Biology Forum

Is HCl synthesized in the body and released to the stomach?

<< < (3/3)

DrCMS:

--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 15, 2021, 11:19:35 AM ---Leakage of chloride ions into the gastic juices combined with protons that being pumped out is not synonymous with creating hydrochloride acid.

--- End quote ---

YES IT IS. 

--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 15, 2021, 11:19:35 AM ---It is a misnomer and its scientifically incorrect to state that the body produces HCl when it is obvious that it does not...

--- End quote ---

Mammals DO produce hydrochloric acid.  To say otherwise is incorrect.

--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 22, 2021, 12:16:54 PM ---I do not think we are going to get any further than this in this topic.

--- End quote ---

That has been the case since the first answers you were given that you choose to disregard.  What kind of arrogant fool comes to ask question and when they get told the same answer multiple times by different people decides everyone else is wrong?  I can only assume with that kind of bone headed stupidity coupled with an overinflated ego and heaps of arrogance you are a pre-med student due someday to be a bad doctor.  Hopefully before then you will grow up and start to listen and realise how much you do and do not know rather than carry on assuming you are always right regardless of the mounting evidence otherwise.

Babcock_Hall:

--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 22, 2021, 12:16:54 PM ---I do not think we are going to get any further than this in this topic.
If wikipedia suggests that it is simply an aqueous solution of hydrogen and chloride, then I guess we can just make it from acetic acid and NaCl.
If it is an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride however, it is not the case of the gastic juices.
We can basically just say that whatever H2O solution that we have, with whatever we might have in it, and be classified as hydrochloride acid as long as we have protons and chloride ions in it.

--- End quote ---
Acetic acid only dissociates to a limited extent on its own.

Borek:

--- Quote from: Babcock_Hall on May 24, 2021, 12:43:54 PM ---
If wikipedia suggests that it is simply an aqueous solution of hydrogen and chloride, then I guess we can just make it from acetic acid and NaCl.
If it is an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride however, it is not the case of the gastic juices.
We can basically just say that whatever H2O solution that we have, with whatever we might have in it, and be classified as hydrochloride acid as long as we have protons and chloride ions in it.

--- End quote ---
Acetic acid only dissociates to a limited extent on its own.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention the fact solution prepared by mixing appropriate amounts of acetic acid and NaCl is in no way different from a solution prepared by mixing hydrochloric acid with sodium acetate.

To some extent it depends on how nitpickingly precise definition one wants to use for "producing HCl" and "solution of HCl" - but that's a can of worms I am not going into.

Jfalken:

--- Quote from: DrCMS on May 24, 2021, 04:41:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 15, 2021, 11:19:35 AM ---Leakage of chloride ions into the gastic juices combined with protons that being pumped out is not synonymous with creating hydrochloride acid.

--- End quote ---

YES IT IS. 

--- Quote from: Jfalken on May 15, 2021, 11:19:35 AM ---It is a misnomer and its scientifically incorrect to state that the body produces HCl when it is obvious that it does not...

--- End quote ---

Mammals DO produce hydrochloric acid.  To say otherwise is incorrect.

--- End quote ---

That has been the case since the first answers you were given that you choose to disregard.  What kind of arrogant fool comes to ask question and when they get told the same answer multiple times by different people decides everyone else is wrong?  I can only assume with that kind of bone headed stupidity coupled with an overinflated ego and heaps of arrogance you are a pre-med student due someday to be a bad doctor.  Hopefully before then you will grow up and start to listen and realise how much you do and do not know rather than carry on assuming you are always right regardless of the mounting evidence otherwise.

--- End quote ---

I am not a pre-med student, I am an organic (you can that as real) chemist.
You speak of creating HCl, you're not creating it by creating two substrates that is derived from it..
Jesus Christ, please read up on some actual chemistry before coming here and telling people what chemistry is about.

If you can not present a reaction formula where it is created, then you have never created it.
If I present you with two different reaction schemes, that forms product A and B respectively, then by adding them into the same flask I am not creating product C - I am simply having a flask with product A and product B.
It is as simple as that.

What could be said is that mammals create acidic gastric juices, with a low pH, but to say that mammals create HCl acid would simply not be true as there is no reaction where it is actually created. Get your facts straight.

vmelkon:

--- End quote ---

So, what is it producing?
I suppose that there might be some sulfate, bromide, acetate, Na+, K+ and other ions floating around in the stomach. So, it is a complex mix.
But if you add H+ (or H3O+) and some Cl- to pure water, don't you have hydrochloric acid?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version