April 13, 2021, 04:26:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is HCl synthesized in the body and released to the stomach?  (Read 237 times)

Offline Jfalken

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is HCl synthesized in the body and released to the stomach?
« on: March 30, 2021, 05:32:03 AM »
So we have all been told that the parietal cells secrete HCl to the stomach yet I have yet to see a reaction formula that shows that H+ + Cl- --> HCl in the body.
All I ever see is protons being excreted into the lumen and that Cl- is there too.
But nowhere have I seen that HCl is actually formed.
To have solvatized ions in the lumen does not count as HCl as they are, as stated, solvatized.

Have I missed something here?
A rxn or similar?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +279/-20
Re: Is HCl synthesized in the body and released to the stomach?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
I think that the problem lies the interpretation of what it means to make HCl.  IMO, the presence of hydrogen ions and chloride ions counts as HCl, but YMMV.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1719/-402
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
Generally speaking there is no such thing as "HCl in water". It immediately dissociates into H+ and Cl-, so any solution containing these two (from whatever source) is identical to the solution prepared by dissolving HCl in water.

This is not much different from other solutions. Imagine a solution that is 0.1 M in Na+, 0.1 M in K+, 0.1 M in Cl- and 0.1 M in Br-. Is it a solution of 0.1 M NaCl and 0.1 M KBr, or 0.1 M NaBr and 0.1 M KCl? Or perhaps neither and the question about which salts are dissolved doesn't make much sense, as it is ions present that matter, not the way the solution was made?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline Jfalken

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
If I take water, and I put NaCl into it so I get the chloride ions in the water and then I add protons (from any random source), then according to your definition I should have HCl containing solution because there are Cl ions and an excess of protons..
I do not really agree with you here.
If textbooks wants to say that we PRODUCE HCl acid then I want to see a reaction mechanism showing that HCl is formed.
If the protons originates from a different source, and the chloride ions originate from a source of its own, then one can not simply say that it is HCl acid..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1719/-402
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
I do not really agree with you here.

Two people pointed you to a flaw in your line of thinking, if you don't accept it - your choice.

But you won't get better answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +461/-22
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
Generally speaking there is no such thing as "HCl in water".
Right. This was a great articulation of where the problem lies, Borek.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links