March 29, 2024, 06:48:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Spike Percent Recovery Question  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Titration_Man

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Spike Percent Recovery Question
« on: March 29, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
How do I properly calculate a percent recovery in a sample matrix which has trace levels of my analyte of interest?

For instance, say I spike an infant cereal with 100 ppb As (Arsenic), and when I analyze it I get 104 ppb. My matrix (no spike) when I analyze it, has anywhere from 2-8 ppb As. How can I properly calculate how much of my spike was recovered?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Spike Percent Recovery Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 06:35:39 PM »
For instance, say I spike an infant cereal with 100 ppb As (Arsenic), and when I analyze it I get 104 ppb. My matrix (no spike) when I analyze it, has anywhere from 2-8 ppb As. How can I properly calculate how much of my spike was recovered?
What do you mean "anywhere from 2-8 ppb"?
To do a spike recovery expt you take one sample and divide it into two portions; to one you add the spiked solution, to the other you add unspiked solution. Then you measure both, take the difference, and divide the difference by the concentration in the spike. x100.
You shouldn't be considering a range in your unspiked matrix - it's one measurement.

(Where is your range coming from - sample variability or uncertainty in your measurement? The latter will definitely affect your spike recovery, which is kind of the point. But you measure THE SAME SAMPLE with spike and no spike, so there is no variability in the sample measurement in a spike recovery determination, assuming your sample is homogeneous.

You can google "spike recovery" and there are several hits with documents that describe how to do this.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links