March 28, 2024, 01:06:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Catalyst "supported on polystyrene"  (Read 824 times)

Offline Monoamine

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Catalyst "supported on polystyrene"
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »
I was reading a synthesis recently, and the authors stated that they used something called PS-BEMP as a catalyst in one of the reaction steps. According to them, this is 2-tert-butylimino-2-
diethylamino-1,3-dimethylperhydro-1,3,2-diazaphosphorine supported on polystyrene , which they claim is a very strong base.
I understand the "using a base as a catalyst" part, but I don't know what "supported on polystyrene" means?

Is the above chemical somehow attached to pieces of polystyrene, which are then placed into the reaction vessel? And if so, how is this usually done? (I'm pretty sure they don't mean take a piece of polystyrene, lather it in super glue and then dip it in the base...)

FYI: I saw this in the following paper about Henry syntheses:
Angelini T, Ballerini E, Bonollo S, Curini M, Lanari D. A new sustainable protocol for the synthesis of nitroaldol derivatives via Henry reaction under solvent-free conditions. Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews. 2014 Jan 2;7(1):11-7

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Catalyst "supported on polystyrene"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 12:20:57 PM »
The catalyst is covalently attached to a polymer backbone. This allows the catalyst to be easily recoverable after the reaction by isolation of the polymer.

See, e.g., https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/cr8004444

Have you heard of solid-phase peptide synthesis? Same concept.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links