March 28, 2024, 06:53:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: AAS Si standard  (Read 1268 times)

Offline denisa174

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
AAS Si standard
« on: April 23, 2021, 02:28:11 AM »
Hello,

I have got a silicon standard solution for AAS is in 2% NaOH. How should I prepare the 2% NaOH? Does that easily mean 2 g in 100 ml in measuring flask? There is not any indication of v/v or w/w or w/v

Thank you very much

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: AAS Si standard
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 02:53:09 AM »
I think it must not very accurate 2 g in 100 ml should be fine.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 03:03:58 AM »
I have got a silicon standard solution for AAS

So you are saying you have the ready solution? If so, why do you ask how it should be prepared? Somehow I think you didn't wrote what you wanted to, can you elaborate?

a silicon standard solution for AAS is in 2% NaOH. How should I prepare the 2% NaOH? There is not any indication of v/v or w/w or w/v

Sounds like 2% NaOH is just a supporting solution, so its concentration doesn't have to to be too exact, even few percent error won't matter. Difference between 2% w/w and w/v are completely negligible in such case.

Does that easily mean 2 g in 100 ml in measuring flask?

Good analytical practice is to not use measuring flasks for preparation of such solutions - NaOH is corrosive to the glass. I would prepare the solution of NaOH in a beaker.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline denisa174

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:06:00 AM »
So you are saying you have the ready solution? If so, why do you ask how it should be prepared? Somehow I think you didn't wrote what you wanted to, can you elaborate?

I have got the standard, but for AAS analysis I need to have the same solution for calibration and for dilution of samples.

Sounds like 2% NaOH is just a supporting solution, so its concentration doesn't have to to be too exact, even few percent error won't matter. Difference between 2% w/w and w/v are completely negligible in such case.

Ok, thanks

NaOH is corrosive to the glass. I would prepare the solution of NaOH in a beaker.

That is good point, thanks

Sponsored Links