March 29, 2024, 02:08:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactivity of aldehydes vs ketones with ethylene glycol protecting groups?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
Hello.

I know that aldehydes are significantly more reactive than ketones when it comes to nucleophilic addition reactions (and arguably other reactions, such as Wittig), but does this principle hold for the protection of the groups with ethylene glycol? It's of interest in molecules where there exists both an aldehyde and a ketone. Will one be more or less reactive and result in a significant major (protected) product? 

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
I think you get a mixture, its probably difficult to say how much of each. Better just try it.

Offline Meter

I think you get a mixture, its probably difficult to say how much of each. Better just try it.
Okay. I was considering using it for synthesizing 2-hydroxycyclohexanone from cyclohexanone. Although, now that you're here, is there an easier way to do it?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
You can buy the dimer from Aldrich but its expensive. You can search on Scifinder or Reaxys to find a good method, its not worth the time to make one.

Offline Meter

You can buy the dimer from Aldrich but its expensive. You can search on Scifinder or Reaxys to find a good method, its not worth the time to make one.
It's part of a theoretical exercise, so I don't need to synthesize it. But thanks.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
OK, thats different. Maybe you can brominate in the 2-position and treat the bromide with silveroxide in THF/H2O?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:19:25 AM by rolnor »

Offline Meter

OK, thats different. Maybe you can brominate in the 2-position and treat the bromide with silveroxide in THF/H2O?
Haven't heard of that reaction, but I'm surprised it never occurred to me to brominate the alpha-carbon.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
I am not sure the method is really good but as a possible way to make it its acceptable. To make large amount I would hydrogenate 1,2-cyclohexanedione, I think that could work really well. The dione is in its enol-form.

Offline Meter

I am not sure the method is really good but as a possible way to make it its acceptable. To make large amount I would hydrogenate 1,2-cyclohexanedione, I think that could work really well. The dione is in its enol-form.
That seems to be a method from Reaxys as well, and I agree that it is a good idea.

Sponsored Links