March 28, 2024, 04:30:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extract measurement  (Read 726 times)

Offline Vodkaz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extract measurement
« on: May 07, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
Hello, I have a question about extraction process, I made distillation of rapeseed using petroleum ether; once finished I took some measurements of the extract's final mass directly from the round flask, no problem until then, but then I transferred the contents of the flask to a beaker and measured again; for some reason the mass was about 18 g less than before.

I'm guessing this has something to do with evaporation of the solvent after a few minutes, but is it really that quickly or what other sort of changes may happened?

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
Re: Extract measurement
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 04:55:16 AM »
Evaporation might play a part, but 18 g of PE would be around 25 mL in volume (probably depends on the kind used) so it sounds like a lot if you had it all in a flask (small opening) prior and only a few minutes had passed. It could just be a measurement error. Like you forgot to tara the weight or something similar.

Offline Vodkaz

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 05:31:56 AM »
Thanks for your response, actually I do not believe that it is a tara problem (I checked the balance a few times), even though, I made the first measurement with porcelain pieces inside the flask, obviously, I left them out of the equation for measurement and it was something like this:

Mass of the extract from round flask: 93.31 g
Mass of the extract after being transferred: 77.49 g

so I am not certain at all if it is just an evaporation issue

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:07 AM »
Thanks for your response, actually I do not believe that it is a tara problem (I checked the balance a few times), even though, I made the first measurement with porcelain pieces inside the flask, obviously, I left them out of the equation for measurement and it was something like this:

Mass of the extract from round flask: 93.31 g
Mass of the extract after being transferred: 77.49 g

so I am not certain at all if it is just an evaporation issue
Unless you live somewhere exceptionally hot, 25 mL PE is not going to evaporate out of the mouth of a flask in just a few minutes. On a large surface? Sure, but not a flask. Sounds like either a human error or a technical error with the scale. I'd repeat the extraction (being very careful to do everything right) and see if the same problem arises.

Offline Vodkaz

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 06:23:32 AM »
I agree, I'll repeat the extraction and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for your remarks

Sponsored Links