April 19, 2024, 08:20:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Brown gas formed when reacting Potassium Iodide with Iodine Monochloride  (Read 772 times)

Offline candls

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi! I am a year 12 student and I recently did an experiment where I try to discover the Iodine Value of an unsaturated oil, in this case, olive oil. I used 5g of the oil and Wij's solution, which is Iodine Monochloride and the Wij's solution also had acetic acid in it by default. Hexane was used as a solvent for the olive oil. After mixing the different solutions and letting it react for 30 minutes in a dark space, I added potassium iodide to the mixture, to use for back titration. When adding the potassium iodide, a brown gas was formed quickly, not a very large amount, after a few minutes this gas then condensed on the sides of the flask into a brown liquid.
I am trying to figure out what this brown gas is, as I originally thought it was Iodine gas, which, after some research would not make sense as it is purple as a gas. Could anyone help me with this and possibly explain the process behind why the gas is formed? If you need more info about the experiment please post a reply and I will make sure to give more information. I would be really thankful for any form of help.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:19:04 PM by candls »

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Iodine monochloride fits for your description (brown liquid).

Offline candls

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Iodine monochloride fits for your description (brown liquid).
Yes, the Wij's solution is a brown liquid, but would that mean that the reaction with the potassium iodide would cause the Wij's solution to suddenly become a gas (which based on my research would not be possible), it would definitely make sense that it would be the Wij's solution but in that case, why would it become a gas?

Sponsored Links