April 19, 2024, 11:30:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need Help Replicating a Solution  (Read 696 times)

Offline joshua1892

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need Help Replicating a Solution
« on: May 09, 2021, 12:55:12 PM »
Hi Everyone, I need some help replicating a solution that I don't want to have to keep buying from the manufacturer.  I use the solution to make a half gallon (2 L) of Hypochlorus Acid for cleaning.  I have some basic chemistry knowledge but not much.  The solution comes in 2.4 fl oz (3.0 wt oz) packets and state active ingredients of 25.88% Sodium Chloride and 74.12% other ingredients. I know one of the "other" ingredients is Glacial Acetic Acid.  I'm assuming I messed up the math.  My plan was to calculate out the sodium chloride, add it to the water and then add Glacial Acetic Acid until the PH's match. I came up with 18.37 g NaCl to 71 ml water. If I take 71 ml of water and mix in 18.37 g sodium chloride, it seems like it's too much.  The solution from the company is completely clear, and even heating the water I can't get that amount of salt to dissolve in that amount of water where it comes out clear.  I'm not sure if I should subtract the amount of water that is equal to the amount of salt in my solution either, but in my head it makes sense to do so to make the overall amount of the solution stay the same.  The company's solution has a PH of 2.65 @ 20.1 degrees C.  I'm also adding anywhere from 1 to 2 ml of the Glacial Acetic Acid to get the PH's to match.

I've been at this for probably a year now just slightly modifying the ingredients, but after mixing the 2.4 oz solution of water, NaCl and Glacial Acid to the half gallon of water and doing electrolysis the Hypochlorus Acid solution I make never comes out to match the 1100 ppm total available chlorine that the company's solution creates.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?   

Thanks!

Offline ACETAT

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Need Help Replicating a Solution
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
You dont need NaCl you need NaOCl.
If no knowledge  dont make it by yourself. And dont do  electrolysis with mixtures of acetic acid and sodiumchloride. Dangerous.

Offline joshua1892

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Need Help Replicating a Solution
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the response, and I apologize for my ignorance.  I want to ask these questions intelligently but I know so little about chemistry that it's tough.  Really wish I would have paid more attention in high school!!!

The machine I purchased is designed to create HOCl through H2O + NaCl via electrolysis.  I thought NaOCl was bleach, and I definitely don't want to use that but I'm probably wrong.  Other machines instruct you to use NaCl and vinegar to create HOCl, and I thought acetic acid was just the concentrated form of vinegar so in the ingredients instead of using 1 cup of vineger, I've been using 5% of one cup of acetic acid mixed with 95% one cup water.

Can you tell me if my math is off somewhere?  Did I mess up the calculation for the amount of NaCl (18.37 g with 71 ml water) to get what the label states from the company that sells the packets (25.88% NaCl per 2.4 oz water)?  It just seems like too much NaCl.  Or am I just completely off on everything and need NaOCl as you stated?

For reference, here is the link to the machine I'm using.  Really hope it's not dangerous to use.
https://www.geneontechnologies.com/our-products/trio-rx/

And of the pre-made packets they want you to purchase which I am trying to formulate myself.
https://www.geneontechnologies.com/our-products/mineral-electrolyte/mineral-electrolyte-2-4-oz-pack/

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links