March 28, 2024, 02:24:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Unknown Compounds  (Read 727 times)

Offline CBass2288

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Unknown Compounds
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Hello,

In my lab class, I am tasked with identifying an unknown compound given various information on it, such as physical properties, specific chemical test results, spectroscopy, etc. There is a solid, liquid, and spectroscopy unknown. I have really struggled in things like this in the past and am looking for help/guidance from anyone willing. Much appreciated.

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
Re: Unknown Compounds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:09:14 PM »
It would be a good start to tell us what data you have and what your thoughts are so far.

Offline CBass2288

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:14:53 PM »
Agreed, however, there is a lot of data to include in a post along with spectrums that I am not able to include here.

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
Then the best advice I can give you is to look very hard at your organic molecules: Identify all functional groups and ask yourself what tests will cause a positive/indicative result for those functional groups.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:27:16 PM »
If you have the molecular formula, you can calculate the number of degrees of unsaturation.  This rarely leads to a unique answer regarding identity, but it does cut the territory down considerably.  It is also possible to post images of spectra.

Sponsored Links