April 23, 2024, 12:15:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis exercise correction  (Read 2183 times)

Offline xshadow

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Synthesis exercise correction
« on: May 15, 2021, 05:14:35 AM »
Have to write all the products of the following steps:

I 've done the first three steps but I'm stuck on the last two!!

Is the  piperidine here used to deprotonate  the 1,3 decarboxylic compound  and generates the enolate? Or will form an imine reacting with the keto group?

And then where  willthe enolate  attack?
I have an esteric and a carboxylic group  on my substrate, if the previous steps are correct

Thanks...

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Synthesis exercise correction
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:43:06 AM »
In the second scheme, the lactone will not open, the ringclosed compound is thermodynamicaly more stable then the open methyl ester.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
In the top scheme you use allylbromide but get a only a vinyl-substituent, you miss one carbon.

Offline xshadow

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
In the second scheme, the lactone will not open, the ringclosed compound is thermodynamicaly more stable then the open methyl ester.

So what will the  NaOMe can do in that step?

If it can't react with che C=O group it could act as a base and deprotonates the alpha hydrogen getting an enolate??

But anyway  that enolate will attack the lactone and the only possible pathway  should be again the ring openong?!?!

Thx
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:10:08 PM by xshadow »

Offline xshadow

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 12:42:25 PM »
In the top scheme you use allylbromide but get a only a vinyl-substituent, you miss one carbon.

Right!! :o

Offline xshadow

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
Nothing? ???

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 11:04:45 AM »
I am not sure what can hapen if you treat the allyl-lactone with NaOMe, it should not open, that would be thermodynamically unfavourable. The double bond can migrate so you get a methyl vinyl but generally this is accomplished with a stronger  base like potssiumtert-butoxide or LDA. One possibility is that you get a little ester enolate and this attacks another molecule of lactone but then things get very complicated.

Offline xshadow

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
i think I've done a mistake in the IBX step because IBX is a mild oxidizing agent so I should get an aldehyde.

Than in the last step the piperidine is a base and can deprotonate che other reactant ( the1,3 dicarboxylic compound, very acid , I think piperidine is good enough)
So I get an enolate that should react chemoselectively with the aldehydic group of the substrate (aldehyde much more reactive than ester)

Can it make sense??

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:18:04 AM by xshadow »

Offline xshadow

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
I am not sure what can hapen if you treat the allyl-lactone with NaOMe, it should not open, that would be thermodynamically unfavourable. The double bond can migrate so you get a methyl vinyl but generally this is accomplished with a stronger  base like potssiumtert-butoxide or LDA. One possibility is that you get a little ester enolate and this attacks another molecule of lactone but then things get very complicated.

Perhaps the IBX is added at the "same time" so when the lactone is opened , the alcoholic group  is oxidized very quickly to an aldehyde ( and so we can't have the ring closure anymore)

Than in the last step I suppose what could be happen in the post above this.

According to you???
THANKS) :)

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »
The lactone would not open at all and IBX would react with methoxide. Its a bit of a mystery, is something not correct in the structure of the startingmaterial? Or does the creater of the exercise thinking that the lactone would open incorrectly?

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
The lactone would not open at all and IBX would react with methoxide. Its a bit of a mystery, is something not correct in the structure of the startingmaterial? Or does the creater of the exercise thinking that the lactone would open incorrectly?

I would guess that the creator of the exercise didn't want them to think too hard about it, and we are supposed to assume that the transesterification to open the ring would actually work. I wonder if a large excess methanol might allow the equilibrium to favor ring opening? Or if saponification first might work much better, followed by a different way of making the ester.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »
If so its a fatal error, I have worked with lactones and hydroxy esters, its very easy to close this type of ring with both acid and base. It is a equilibrium but very little ringopened hydroxy ester would form, not practically amounts. Its just ignorant.

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 01:29:17 AM »
I wondered about this issue of opening a lactone. I did find a couple of papers where it seems to work fine to do acid catalyzed transesterification to open a stable lactone like 5 or 6 membered ring:

"A Convenient and Mild Procedure for the Preparation of Hydroxyesters from Lactones and Hydroxyacids"

"Transesterification via Baeyer–Villiger oxidation utilizing potassium peroxydisulfate (K2S2O8) in acidic media"

The latter does a Bayer-Villiger first to make the lactone, but I don't think would effect the equilibrium for opening the lactone.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 01:31:35 AM »
If so its a fatal error, I have worked with lactones and hydroxy esters, its very easy to close this type of ring with both acid and base. It is a equilibrium but very little ringopened hydroxy ester would form, not practically amounts. Its just ignorant.
Introductory organic chemistry often doesn't care a lot about yield when it comes to theoretical exercises. The student would get bonus points for pointing something like that out, though.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 03:59:02 AM »
I looked up the paper, it seems its possible with acid to get the hydroxy ester. I was wrong, sorry. Remains to see if I am wrong regarding basic catalysis. That would go against my own experience in the lab. If we assume its possible, what would the rest of the steps lead to? You need to draw the allyl-substituted compound and proceed.
I have worked with a butyrolakton, to open this we used ammonia to get the 4-hydroxy amide. We protected the hydroxy group and treated the amide with nitrogen dioxide to get the nitroso amine. This was hydrolyzed with lithium peroxide to get the avid. So this is my point of reference, it was very difficult to get the open-chain compound in this case without going via the amide. This was 25 years ago, maybe my memory is failing in some way.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:41:04 AM by rolnor »

Sponsored Links