April 25, 2024, 06:02:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: High selectivity replacement of alkyl chain on benzene cycle  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Sergio

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello !

I'm desperately trying to achieve that reaction described on the reactional scheme, with the best selectivity on alkyl chains. (my latest synthetic chemistry lesson is 25 y.o. yet)

-R' is anything but -H, atom bonded to aromatic cycle is mandatory carbon
-R and R'' are just linear alkyl chains

Anyone kind enough to help me a bit ?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: High selectivity replacement of alkyl chain on benzene cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:05:52 AM »
I dont understand, do you want to change the whole chain or make changes in the chain?

Offline Meter

• Mole Snacks: +14/-3
  • Take what I say with a grain of salt
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 06:12:07 AM »
Maybe you could activate the alkyl chains with something like chromic acid?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »
If the sidechain is methyl, you can oxidize to COOH, then make a Curtius rearangement with DPPA/TEA to get the NH2, then diazotise and reduce the diazonium salt with phosphoric acid to hydrogen. Then, somehow, you can introduce another alkyl chain. You need to protect the free OHś with a protection group, othervise they get oxidized. This method is bad and wont work but is somekind of a startingpoint. When you have the OH-s you can not use Friedel Craft to introduce the new sidechain, it will be in the o-position, not the m-position that you want.

Offline Meter

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 09:18:23 AM »
If the sidechain is methyl, you can oxidize to COOH, then make a Curtius rearangement with DPPA/TEA to get the NH2, then diazotise and reduce the diazonium salt with phosphoric acid to hydrogen. Then, somehow, you can introduce another alkyl chain. You need to protect the free OHś with a protection group, othervise they get oxidized. This method is bad and wont work but is somekind of a startingpoint. When you have the OH-s you can not use Friedel Craft to introduce the new sidechain, it will be in the o-position, not the m-position that you want.
Won't any alkyl chain be oxidized to COOH? That's what my textbook says.

Offline Meter

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 09:23:54 AM »
Or maybe use radical substitution (Cl2 or Br2 over UV or heat) and react with an alkyne followed by catalytic hydrogenation. Obviously not great either.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 09:34:00 AM »
Won't any alkyl chain be oxidized to COOH? That's what my textbook says.

I think it depends on the conditions.

You can block the o-positions by bromination, make a allyl ether of one or both OH-s, then make a Claisen rearangement to get a allylgroup in the vacant position, then cleave the allyl ether/ethers with HCl (aq) and oxidize the allyl group to aldehyde by OsO4/NaIO4. This aldehyde can be transformed to many alkyl groups by Wittig etc. Then hydrogenate the bromo-s.

Offline Sergio

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 03:48:53 PM »
I dont understand, do you want to change the whole chain or make changes in the chain?
Thank you for your reply.
I want to change it. Starting with a propyl or pentyl  group and replace it with heptyl, for example...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:12:57 PM by Sergio »

Offline Sergio

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
Thank you all for your interest, hints and ideas. I'm really grateful !
I will study them (need some time !) and let you know if I manage to do something out of them...

P.S: -R and -R'' are at least 3 C long. No methyl nor ethyl !

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 01:59:42 AM »
If you start with aldehyde, you can make all other chains from this by Wittig.

Sponsored Links