April 19, 2024, 02:22:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Picking between Ucl/Imperial/Warwick  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Bakpao__

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Picking between Ucl/Imperial/Warwick
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:50:45 PM »
As the title suggests, I am stuck between choosing which chemistry degree to take between ucl/imperial/Warwick. My initial thought was Imperial since it was close to home and fit the requirements of the year in industry and being a masters (the grade requirements are also the highest making me think it will be the best choice to put this as my firm).

But after looking into the universities more thoroughly, statistics such as student satisfaction and rankings in chemistry, place Ucl and Warwick a few places above Imperial (they also have lower grade requirements than imperial making it more tempting to just put both of those as firm and insurance).

Each course seems pretty similar, so my first question is which degree allows me to be a strong candidate in the world of work/which degree would be considered more prestigious? My second question is, which university potentially could offer me wider job prospects? If I'm being honest I'd quite like to work in areas where I can utilise the knowledge I learn from the degree in my work, but I'm not too sure what sort of jobs I could do this in (since I'm hearing many people go into finance after a chemistry degree) but that's a worry for another day.

Any comments appreciated whether it's about your opinion on a single university or comparisons!

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Picking between Ucl/Imperial/Warwick
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 12:00:35 PM »
Do they all do a placement year? In my experience the best way a student can find a job after their degree is by gaining work experience. If they all offer a placement, I would rather stay closer to home because you'll likely be happier if you have an easy escape on the weekend, unless you are really outgoing and make friends easily, or just want a break from home.

I took a MChem degree that offered a placement year in the final masters year. It was great because I could just continue working at my job once I finished rather than needing to quit and go back to university then apply again after.

Sponsored Links