April 25, 2024, 01:13:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question from Standard Level Chem Class  (Read 929 times)

Offline kmliiank

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question from Standard Level Chem Class
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:16:45 PM »
Two common gaseous fuels are methane (CH4) and acetylene (C2H6). These fuels produce energy by undergoing the balanced combustion reactions below.
CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O
C2H6 + 7O2 → 4CO2 + 6H2O
Claim, Evidence, Reasoning - Ess is trying to reduce their CO2 emissions, but wants to get 1 L of fuel for their campstove. Given the fact that 1 mole of gas takes up 22.4 L (regardless of size or mass), which fuel should they buy? ( complete the stoichiometry for evidence and explain your reasoning to show your understanding of molar ratios)[fuel for your campstove is typically sold in compressed cylinders, which is an added layer of complexity that we are avoiding for the purposes of simplicity]

-I started by calculating this but I'm stuck from here
1 L ( 1 mol/22.4 L)= 1/22.4= .045 mol
1 L is .045 mol.

- Just need help on this last question from my chem assignment, thank you so much! :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question from Standard Level Chem Class
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 02:54:13 AM »
Beware: one of the equations is balanced wrong.

You are most likely expected to base your decision on how many liters of CO2 are produced per 1L of gaseous fuel.

But this question is wrong on at least two levels :( First: you can't store acetylene just a as a compressed gas. Second: to find which of the fuels is better you should look not at the amount of carbon dioxide produced by burning 1L of fuel, but compare amount of CO2 produced for cooking a meal (or just boiling a water, to make things easier). That requires going behind just molar ratios and comparing enthalpies of combustion. I understand this is probably beyond what you know now, but I hate it when questions are based on misconceptions and/or wrong assumptions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »
C2H6 is ethane, not acetylene.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
C2H6 is ethane, not acetylene.

Sigh, on the first sight I realized CO2/H2O ratio is wrong on the products side, but didn't spot the fundamental mistake.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links