TBH, I don't know whether the old screw/nut is brass or bronze, but the exposed metal has the same pink/salmon color of copper.
Surely this must be a common problem? Why are there no common, everyday, DIY, fixes for it? I found a Nitric acid DIY guide on youtube
but it's sloppy. Add 100 ml of hydrochloric acid
, does explain whether its dilute or concentrated acid!, and youtube comments are no place for clarifications. So the formula is:
1. In a small flask add 80g NaNO3
, or nitrate equivalent (ammonia, potassium nitrates or even garden fertilizer are suitable alternatives).
2. Add 50ml water.
3. Dissolve in the water (use hot water?)
4. If you had to warm the above to dissolve it, let it cool.
5. Add 100ml hydrochloric acid (conc. or dilute?). Make sure you add slowly, and the temperature does not rise quickly.
PS: Never add hydrochloric acid quickly to anything hot. Adding it in 5 parts seems safe to me.
Looks like a good basic formula. Data such as solubility of NaNO3
in water is handy. Which is easy to get hold of.
I can do this. I feel so excited. I haven't done this kind of stuff since I was a kid!
I'll write it up.