April 25, 2024, 12:46:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cis-Alkene structure  (Read 4455 times)

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Cis-Alkene structure
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »
Supposing I have: cis-1,3-decadiene

I am attempting to draw the correct structure in skeletal form. My question is basically whether the cis implies that all the double bonds are cis?

I am drawing it with all the carbons and hydrogens and then aiming to reduce it to skeletal form. I have two hydrogens both sticking up on the 1-2C doublebond and I have two hydrogens sticking down on the 3-4C double bond.

Correct?

Offline beheada

Re: Cis-Alkene structure
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »
I hate to answer my own question, but after further review in my notes, I'm lead to believe that the first double bond is irrelevant, since one side of the double bond has 2 hydrogens, there is no way of telling if it is cis- or trans- and therefore it doesn't need to be drawn a certain way. Therefore I have my skeletal structure as a jagged line except for the 3-4C double bond which is straight across, with the 1-2 and 3-4 carbons double bonded. Correct?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 12:12:35 PM »
I'm lead to believe that the first double bond is irrelevant, since one side of the double bond has 2 hydrogens

Yes. You are right. You beat me to answering the post. LOL.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline beheada

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Geo.

Sponsored Links