March 28, 2024, 11:50:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: microscale lab techniques  (Read 4301 times)

bmc

microscale lab techniques
« on: September 18, 2004, 03:00:46 PM »
My first semester of organic lab only teaches microscale lab techniques. Is this the current trend, or should it also include macroscale techniques ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 04:48:19 PM by bmc »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:MICROSCALE LAB TECHNIQUES
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »
I'm not a chemistry major. I've no idea, but please refrain from typing in capitals in future. It's equivalent to shouting. Please observe internet ettiquette.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:microscale lab techniques
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 10:09:16 PM »
That seems to be the current trend for a multitude of reasons;

1):  It's cheaper that way.  If only tiny mL quantities are used, the supply can last much longer and the university doesn't have to buy as much.  Cheaper methods = better looking for the accounting sector of the university.

2):  Safety.  It has become a sad trend in society today whereby safety is taking a backseat to stupidity.  Even worse, if someone makes a mistake they claim that it's not their fault and sue whomever's residence they are in.  By performing reactions on a small scale, the chances of a big accident happening and the school getting sued because of it goes down.  Again, cheaper = better for the school.  

Those really are the two big reasons why microscale labs are preferred nowadays over larger scale labs.  Sad but true.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links