Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Help me duplicate a gardening supplement- Liquid Bone Meal!

(1/4) > >>

TRS71:
Hi, I'm looking to duplicate or brew a close facsimile of a gardening supply of Liquid Bone Meal- from Nectar for The Gods Herculean Harvest.

I can buy bulk bonemeal for under $1 a pound, the store-bought liquid is $40 a gallon. I know I'm paying $39 for water. If I was using 1/2 a cup that's one thing, but according to their feed chart, I'd need over a 1/2 gallon weekly!

In the video, they mention how they make it. I pulverized the meal to a bag of dust, but then they add an acid, hydrolyze it, and add a protein-At the least.

How do I do that at home?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44rGNoT_2Ik&t=4m12s

Can someone give me the info on how to make a liquid bone meal and doses for my Hydroponic garden? TIA!!  :)

pcm81:
You are mixing things up.
Bone meal is slow source of calcium for use in the soil.
Liquid bone meal is a fast source of calcium in the soil.

Hydroponics solutions like from General Hydroponics are special mixtures that do not rely on bacteria to digest the calcium phosphate. Calcium phosphate is not soluble in water (very little solubility) so you cant use raw calcium phosphate in hydroponics.

TRS71:
 I know it doesnt disolve, thats why I mentiomed hydrolise it, add acid, etc. how do i make it?

Orcio_87:
@TRS71

You will need strong acid like 35 % HCl to dissolve calcium phosphorate:

Ca3(PO4)2 + 6 HCl ----> 3 CaCl2 + 2 H3PO4

This will yield an easy source of calcium and phosphorus for plants, besides lowering pH of the soil (it will harm plants).

You will need the "protein" which you wrote earlier, as it probably is used to bind H3PO4 and prevent formation of residue.

Borek:

--- Quote from: Orcio_Dojek on June 13, 2021, 02:57:15 PM ---This will yield an easy source of calcium and phosphorus for plants, besides lowering pH of the soil (it will harm plants).
--- End quote ---

You will get the precipitate back the moment you dilute or neutralize the solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version