March 28, 2024, 06:50:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me duplicate a gardening supplement- Liquid Bone Meal!  (Read 5967 times)

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help me duplicate a gardening supplement- Liquid Bone Meal!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
Proteins - no matter what their source is - always rot. They are a perfect food for microorganisms that will decompose everything containing amino acids.

You can slow the process by keeping them dry, by keeping pH in the range where microorganisms can't survive, but there is always a slight risk some extremophile will thrive in these conditions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 01:48:54 AM »
@TRS71

Could you check on the label and see if it has an expiration date?

Offline TRS71

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2021, 03:51:40 PM »
on the Herculean Harvest? I'll look now and edit this.

I know this is kind of a PITA, but if I get a good mix, I'll be ecstatic, along with quite a few gardeners will also be giddy.... :)

The first time I used it, it was a side-by-side plant, and the difference was crazy. I'm really a minimalist in feeding plants KISS :) I think I mentioned it before, I don't mind paying for nutes, but a 1/2 gallon every week of it is crazy-expensive.

I'm also making a cal-mag liquid, but that formula/recipe is everywhere. They even sell a mix, but it's more than the raw chemicals, but still waaaaaaaay cheaper than off the shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf-gBI7_eX4

Offline TRS71

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
No expiration date, but I've had mine for almost 2 years, smells the same. Here is an excerpt from them-

My bottle of Herculean Harvest smells really bad, has it spoiled?

Being that bone meal is an organic material from an animal, it has a tendency to smell worse and worse as you open up the lid. What is happening is that the spearmint is off gassing every time you open the lid until one day there will be no more mint in the bottle and you will be left with the smell of road kill. This doesn’t make the product bad. Things to look for after opening the bottle multiple times is if the bottle swells over night and has an ammonia-ish smell. It has then spoiled. This will be true for most of the product line with the exception of Pegasus Potion, which always smells no matter what we do.

Offline cosmonaut

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 12:56:01 AM »
I'm an Oregon local...I garden but was unaware that NOG was based in Springfield OR.

If you go onto their website and view the SDS for Herculean Harvest you may be able to gain some insight.  The SDS lists the pH=3.3 with a solubility property="Water soluble Calcium Phosphate."

It also states that "product will release CO2 if mixed with alkaline substances."

Lastly, in the video they mention a "protein gum."

I have a few thoughts on further testing but not sure what equipment you have available.

Sponsored Links