March 28, 2024, 02:09:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: weak acid for oxide removal... that things won't grow in.  (Read 2699 times)

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
weak acid for oxide removal... that things won't grow in.
« on: June 13, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »
I have 2x 5 gallon buckets with acid that i use for oxide removal. A mixture of sulfuric and phosphoric acid in my "strong" bucket and i use citric acid in my "weak" bucket. The idea is that more gentle things or things that contain other materials like plastics/rubber etc will go to weak acid bucket. What bugs me is that things are growing in my citric acid... It looks like a bucket of combucha rather than acid and i even have some algae or what ever it may be that is growing in there. My question is: what other weak acid should i consider using in place of citric to prevent things from growing in there? Usually buckets stay closed for most days out of the year and i use them on as needed basis. I was thinking Oxalic acid in place of citric may be? Or may be add alcohol to citric acid to kill off whatever is growing in there?

Thanks Ahead

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: weak acid for oxide removal... that things won't grow in.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
My question is: what other weak acid should i consider using in place of citric to prevent things from growing in there?
Formic acid will have comparable strength, but it is more volatile.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »
Do they use acetic acid (vinegar) as an anti-microbe agent.

I initially liked your idea
Or may be add alcohol to citric acid to kill off whatever is growing in there?

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »
Do they use acetic acid (vinegar) as an anti-microbe agent.

I initially liked your idea
Or may be add alcohol to citric acid to kill off whatever is growing in there?

Don't know about acetic acid use as anti-microbe agent, but it does clean up rust OK-ish

You said you "initally liked" my alcohol idea. Do you see any problems weith it?

I just added 1L of 99% isopropyl alcohol to 5Gal bucket in question. I guess in a week or so i'll know if it cleared up and settled. May need to add coagulant of some sort to achieve settling.

Sponsored Links